Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Food Senstivities~ red food dye



I have discovered, by the grace of God, over the past two years that my youngest (T) and I have many food sensitivities to various foods, such as milk, eggs, and garlic for myself at least. T cannot have red food dye whatsoever, one I discovered that maybe other things such as lactic acid were not causing the issue but the red food dye was, that means that most medicine I have to be careful, they have no dyes because if you look most have red food dye # 40. It is in store brand ibuprofen if they are fruit flavored or grape flavored along with Advil brand. My only option is dye free, I already knew I had to do that for his drinks, he cannot have a lot of juice, and he not big into the water. He will every once in a while, so he generally will have Gatorade and his soy milk. He drinks more milk than anything, and I let it go because he is on his way to being a vegan. Since he already cannot have animal by-products meaning milk and eggs. He has yet to like most meats that he has been given. He has liked hamburger in the past, but, I have to do that myself, and we have no space to grind meats ourselves we go without. Most places will add non-dry milk to hamburger not sure why though.

Anyways back to red food dye, I did not think to look at his medicine, until recently, like a few days ago.  I looked at his medicines liquid medicine that has color has red food dye in it. All that we have at home minus the ones that are dye free have red food dye. Now, I have to replace those to ensure if we ever do need that he will have something that will no cause another issue on top of whatever is causing his discomfort. Though it does seem daunting at times, like when he is in the nursery at our church, and someone offers him food without asking me first. There is so much he cannot have, it is easier at times just to ask me, and then me making out a list. I will do that if they ask, and have for my family. It is hard to put it all down, because well at times something else like the red food dye, I discovered at most 6 months ago. Even for me with garlic, and onion it is all trial and error. THat means that you have to give yourself or your child something that will make their insides go crazy at least three times to ensure that it is that causing the issues. At times with additives and such it is hard to pin it down. I finally discovered the food dye for T when he had nothing but that drink, and it was coming back in one form or the other within 30 minutes up to a few hours. For a few days, and it clicked because the other days he had other things, that could have been the cause as well. Now that I know this, I avoid red food dye at all costs, because for him it is as bad as milk is for me. Trust me it is awful; I am out for days, I cannot function, I can barely drink let alone eat. It is terrible I would wish it on no one. Have a blessed day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment